We have several z/VM test systems that run either z/VM 5.3, 5.4, or 6.1.
All the systems run as guests in the same LPAR under the same z/VM 5.4
host.  Of the several, we have only ONE that cannot be reconfigured to
run in VCONFIG set to LINUX and CPU type set to IFL.  This particular
system would be running z/VM 5.4 if it would IPL.  Here's the attempt to
IPL:

<<< snip >>>

SET VCONFIG MODE LINUX

MODE = LINUX

Storage cleared - system reset.

DEFINE CPU 0 TYPE IFL

CPU 00 redefined as TYPE IFL

Storage cleared - system reset.

Q CPUS

CPU 00  ID  FF04E00020978000 (BASE) STOPPED IFL  CPUAFF ON

IPL

Do you want to IPL the guest?                         (Yes|No)

yes

Just one moment... .

CTCA 0551 COUPLED TO VRSCS 0551

CTCA 0553 COUPLED TO SS2 1501

HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in system check-stop state

<<< snip >>>

As I said, every other one of our test systems IPLs fine with this
reconfiguration.  The only thing that is obviously different in this
guest's directory entry from the others that work is:

-> STDEVOPT LIBRARY CTL

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Sr Sustaining Engineer