We found the problem.  On this system the level of SALIPL was at ESA
2.4.  After correcting that situation of course the problem went away.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Sr Sustaining Engineer
Tel:  +1-703-708-3479
steven.im...@ca.com
<mailto:steven.im...@ca.com>  <http://www.ca.com/>

<<< Original Note >>>

We have several z/VM test systems that run either z/VM 5.3, 5.4, or 6.1.
All the systems run as guests in the same LPAR under the same z/VM 5.4
host.  Of the several, we have only ONE that cannot be reconfigured to
run in VCONFIG set to LINUX and CPU type set to IFL.  This particular
system would be running z/VM 5.4 if it would IPL.  Here's the attempt to
IPL:

<<< snip >>>

SET VCONFIG MODE LINUX

MODE = LINUX

Storage cleared - system reset.

DEFINE CPU 0 TYPE IFL

CPU 00 redefined as TYPE IFL

Storage cleared - system reset.

Q CPUS

CPU 00  ID  FF04E00020978000 (BASE) STOPPED IFL  CPUAFF ON

IPL

Do you want to IPL the guest?                         (Yes|No)

yes

Just one moment... .

CTCA 0551 COUPLED TO VRSCS 0551

CTCA 0553 COUPLED TO SS2 1501

HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in system check-stop state

<<< snip >>>

As I said, every other one of our test systems IPLs fine with this
reconfiguration.  The only thing that is obviously different in this
guest's directory entry from the others that work is:

-> STDEVOPT LIBRARY CTL