ty for this information, but I do not follow how the last cylinder of any
pack on the IIS being unused allows you to name the real packs anything
you want while still retaining the default names for the 2nd Level system.

Could you explain in a little more detail?

Jeff Gribbin <jeff.grib...@gmail.com>
10/01/2010 01:35 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

Just in case this helps ...

If your test system will never be IPLed 1st-level, are you aware that IBM

deliberately does not allocate the last cylinder of any pack (3390-3 or
3390-9) that is part of an Initial Installation System? (That is, 540RES,
 etc.)

because the last cylinder is not used, these packs can all be accommodate
using minidisks that begin at real cylinder 1 - allowing you to name the
real packs whatever you wish and still retain the default names for your
virtual second-level packs.

I am trying to encourage IBM to make this information more obvious and
well-known but for some reason they feel reluctant so to do.  However, I
have had a clear indication (in reply to a Reader's Comment) that they
intend to continue to do this so I think it's fairly safe to go ahead on
the
assumption that the last cylinder of a, 'default installation' volume wil
not be referenced.

In my view this approach makes much more sense than fiddling around with
real volsers - I am a great believer in keeping all guests away from real

cylinder zero except when this is absolutely unavoidable.

Regards
Jeff