On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Gary M. Dennis <gary.den...@mantissa.com> wrote:

> If the volume limit for a z/VM page volumes is 240+, how does this relate to
> maximum defined virtual storage for all active guests under a z/VM image?

The total amount of virtual storage in the universe is limited by the
amount segment and page tables in PTRM address spaces that we'd need
to span that virtual memory. Some of that is resident, some is paged
out, and some is just not there. The amount resident is limited by
your real memory, paged out is limited by the amount of paging space,
etc. Paging volumes is due cpowned maximum and number of spool packs,
plus size of a device, etc.

The way I remember the presentation is that Bit points at the various
restrictions independent of each other. So you know that once this
restriction is gone, the next barrier in space would be that one. Or
the other way around: don't start bugging us about this limit because
the other one is hitting you first.

We don't want the car manufacturers to list all cars maximum speed at
55 mph because that's the local limit in your area. But looking at the
glossies, it does make sense to realize whether a listed 110 mph does
you any good...