From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Scott Rohling
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 4:09 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How DIRMAINT Work ?

There are times when using DIRMAINT commands isn't practical..   for example -
doing DASD volume relabelling.   I suppose you could do a bunch of GET/REP
commands -- or maybe DMDISK NOCLEAN and AMDISK using the same extents and the
new volid?   But I have found the best thing to do is update the monolithic
directory with some simple plumbing and then give it back to DIRMAINT.   I
concede the loss of an audit trail, but for most customers that can be resolved
by having a change record indicating what was done.

Scott Rohling
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Alan Altmark
<alan_altm...@us.ibm.com<mailto:alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
On Friday, 10/01/2010 at 10:24 EDT, Ray Waters
<ray.wat...@opensolutions.com<mailto:ray.wat...@opensolutions.com>> wrote:
> We use all the ?DIRMAINT ? or ?DIRM?  commands and also are able to use
XEDIT
> to make our major directory changes. I wrote an EXEC to ?DIRMAINT
OFFLINE?,
> ?DIRMAINT BACKUP?, DIRMAINT SHUTDOWN?, then ?COPY USER BACKUP B &DIRNAME
DIRECT
> A (OLDD ? , followed by ?XEDIT &DIRNAME DIRECT A?.
>
> Once my EXDIT changes are made and I ?FILE?, I ?COPY &DIRNAME DIRECT A
USER
> INPUT C (OLDD? to the DIRMAINT 1DF mdisk,? CP XAUTOLOG DIRMAINT?, ?EXEC
> DIRMAINT ONLINE?.
>
> Anyway you get the idea. There are precautions  and sleeps and performed
by the
> EXEC, but that is the general idea.
Any procedure that has you editing the monolithic directory and replacing
it as a whole means you have no audit trail (except for "directory
replaced") and the holodeck safeties are turned off.  All major directory
changes should be made with DIRM commands.  If you're making a bunch of
changes at the same time, use DIRM NODIRECT xxxx  to suppress the
DIRECTXA, and then when you're done use DIRM DIRECT to bring all the
changes online at the same time.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices<http://ibm.com/systems/services/labservices>
office: 607.429.3323
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com<mailto:alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
IBM Endicott

NOTICE:
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed email
address. Thank You.