And, the VSE side of IBM already has most of the code written....VSE/VTAPE.

The IP flavor, should work under VM with only minor changes.
The VSAM flavor, well....  since the VM side sun setted VSE/VSAM, and a CMS
minidisk is limited to the size of a pack, there might be a lot more work in
converting the VSAM I/O to something supported under CMS that can support
hundreds of 4 GB (max) virtual tape files.  Or perhaps even get rid of the 4 GB
limitation as that was a VSAM limitation.

If there are other vendors that can trap the tape I/O from CMS, then I'm sure
that the VM development folks knew how to do that long, long time ago.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> 10/6/2010 2:02 PM >>>
On Wednesday, 10/06/2010 at 02:50 EDT, "Quay, Jonathan (IHG)"
<jonathan.q...@ihg.com> wrote:
> Is VSSI an IBM business partner?  They already have a virtual tape on
> minidisk product.  There are others I'm sure.

VSSI is an ISV.     IBM Business Partners are people who sell you
IBM-branded solutions.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training