Is VSSI an IBM business partner?  They already have a virtual tape on
minidisk product.  There are others I'm sure.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:42 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: IPL VM/VM Issues

On Wednesday, 10/06/2010 at 12:56 EDT, Mark Wheeler
<mwheele...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. This is a
critical set
> > of files, which z/VM only has tools to back up to tape, and many
sites
no
> > longer even have tape drives to use to create these tape backups. We

no
> > longer have any tape drives, real or virtual, attached to the
systems,
so
> > SPXTAPE does us absolutely no good.
> >
> > --
> > Robert P. Nix Mayo Foundation .~.
>
> Amen, Brother!

Anyone who has a requirement for tapeless operation of z/VM needs to be
badgering your IBM client exec, account rep or business partner, as well

as opening a requirement with IBM.  It's not that we don't know about
the
requirement, but we need a way to measure the demand so that it can be
prioritized properly.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training