From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 08:44 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Tape Commands

Does anyone know of a VMTAPE command, or commands, that can be used to
change a tape in an IBM VTS from SCRATCH status to SAVED and assign
ownership to a user? The CATALOG command does not seem to work:

Sm vmtape catalog I00446 retpd 10 user joeuser

VMTCAT052E Volume 'I00446' is a 0002 SCRATCH tape.

VMTBUF0161I CATALOG completion code=28.

A bit about the configuration.

The tape is in an IBM VTS which is shared by three systems - MVS, VM,
and TPF.

MVS and VM share the TMC which, of necessity, is owned by MVS.

TPF knows nothing about the TMS and wants to remain ignorant.

The tape in question was created by TPF, using the native VTS commands
for mounting a scratch tape.. Currently, both VM and MVS think that the
tape is SCRATCH while the VTS knows better. This is evident if I try to
mount the tape by volser:

Vmtape mount i00446 181

VMTRMS945I Volume I00446 in RMS location VMSYSATL is NOT SCRATCH which
conflicts with the TMC, rejecting.

VMTMNT051T Mount I00446 0181 canceled by VMTAPE.

VMTBUF016I MOUNT completion code=100.

I know that it is possible to submit jobs to MVS to change the status
from scratch to saved and to catalog tapes. It would be nicer if it
could be done from VM - sometimes the submitted jobs languish in the JES
queue for a long time.

Regards,
Richard Schuh