That was, indeed, the proper command syntax.  I guess that a few of my
synapses still fire without a manual sitting in front of me!     %-}

There is one added command argument at the end, the "verval".  That
permits specification of the existing field value as a verification that
you have the right volser, and field value before the change takes place.
If the existing field and value do not match the "verval", the EDIT
command aborts.

The bit in CA-1 TMS "FLAG1" field that defines volume scratch status is
the '04'x bit (TMSSCRTCH) , so technically all you need to do is turn that
bit off.

But the other physical tape library commands mentioned by others are still
likely to be required.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

Mike Walter/National/Hewitt associa...@hewitt Associates NA

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
11/02/2010 11:26 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Tape Commands

It does work if VM and MVS share the CA-1 TMC, we do it when needed.  You
will need to change the FLAG1 field for that volser.

Off the top of my head, I think the command is:
VMTAPE EDIT volser REPLACE FLAG1 00

I'll get the exact syntax in the morning.

But that may not be enough to change the scratch status in the virtual
library - which may require its own commands?

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation

(Sent from the wee keyboard of a Blackberry.)