> You just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit...
That is perhaps one of Chuckies favorite objectives, the little sicko!
Surely Chuckie was at the keyboard when Alan was out of room... again.

I'm still mulling over alternatives.  But refining the I/O environment is
one of the least-attractive alternatives.

A SHARE and WAVV requirement would be much cleaner than anything I've seen
suggested up to this point.  That requirement would have to clearly state
that the requirement is meant for use with grown up Operating Systems
which prevent uncontrolled concurrent writes to the same DASD in an
unmanaged way (i.e. supporting reserve/release and perhaps ENQ/DEQ or
whatever else z/OS favors nowadays).

Thanks for all the help so far.  The PMR has not yielded anything better
at this time.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Robert J Brenneman" <bren...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
11/08/2010 01:02 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: "RDEVICE DASD rdev TYPE UNSUPPORTED DEVCLASS DASD" vs DEVNO in
directory

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> some really ugly stuff regarding IOCP and overloaded control unit
definitions

ewwwww... You just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit...

We do this sort of thing here in the lab to get around issues where
two teams are forced to cohabitate on a single CEC without altering
their respective I/O environments. Multiple I/O subsystems on z990 and
newer machines makes this a little more tolerable than it used to be.
If you absolutely must, do it with HCD or some other tool to help you
get it right. Its very easy to do wrong.

It is ugly and bad. I strongly recommend against it, if you have any
other option.

--
Jay Brenneman

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.