That is not a command shortcut, it is a documented, supported syntax.
Abbreviations are short cuts, putting more than one parameter on a command, if
documented as being correct, is not. If you want to consider that as being a
shortcut, then vow to give up using VMLINK or NAMES files except for when you
are entering commands from the keyboard.

Regards,
Richard Schuh