Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, wore it, and put it in a draw
never to wear it again..

The path of choice given the hardware, software, expiration dates, and
upward and downward compatibility issue is:
 z/VM 5.4 on z9
 to z196 with the 14 APARs for 5.4 that support it
 and then move to z/VM 6.whatever
 but not 6.1 which:
has a shorter expiration than 5.4
not much more function to offer than 5.4
does not run on a z9 anyway.

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
11/24/2010 04:32 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM 5.1 on z196

Thanks Les, that is pretty much what I suspected. The problem is the
upgrade path. We currently have a z9 so 6.1 is not an option on this
machine.
So when the time comes to swap CPU.s what OS can I IPL on the z196 that I
have tested on the z9?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Les Geer (607-429-3580) <
g...@gdlvm7.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>The question came up today as to whether z/VM 5.1 will run on a z196. I
know
>there are no 5.1 PTF's available for z196 support.
>How about z/VM 5.4, will it run WITHOUT the z196 PTF's?...
>Any guesses? or experiences?

As z/VM 5.1 was never tested on a z196 we cannot provide an outlook of
how it will behave.  However, given the nature of changes made to
z/VM 5.4 and 6.1 to support z196, you may encounter unexpected,
undesirable side effects.

Given upgrading to z/VM 5.4, or better yet 6.1, is straight forward,
why not pursue this avenue rather than rely on knowns?

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development