From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Mike Walter
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 08:33
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] General CMS minidisks and SFS on PAV DASD?

We've always avoided using PAV volumes for general user (non-fullpack) CMS
minidisks.  Instead we've only used DASD defined as 3390-3 so that I/O
queueing is minimized.  That choice was in part due to management
decisions.

Over the past weekend we needed to move some z/VM DASD quickly -- and the
target DASD was already defined as PAV DASD.

The z/VM CP Planning and Administration manual clearly states that "z/VM
Paging and SPOOLing operations do not take advantage of PAV." (no argument
here).  We'll still plan to keep page and SPOOL volumes on non-PAV 3390-3
DASD.

But the same manual also states that "When multiple CMS volumes are
defined on a real PAV volume, I/O operations by CMS can be concurrently
scheduled on any real PAV base or alias subchannel by z/VM.  The CMS user
does not need to take any action for this to occur."

Well, that's "book larn'in".   Can anyone provide real-life results of
using PAV volumes for general-purpose CMS user minidisks, and... for SFS
filespaces?

Do you see real I/O improvement for those apps?  If so, the next time
we're asked we might recommend larger 3390 volumes, mod 9's or 27's
(depending on the number of available paths) to permit larger minidisks
without SFS overhead, and improved SFS performance.

Thanks!

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking
of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this
message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a
solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service,
an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of
Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and
retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may
produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as
required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC,
and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the
country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America
Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are
Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a
Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal
Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional
important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is
subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you
consent to the foregoing.