On Monday, 12/20/2010 at 12:03 EST, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> Why would  you NOT want PAV for CMS mds?
>
> The IO Supervisor has not kept up with the hardware.
>
> It still thinks of a disk device as a "spinning platter" when in fact it
is a
> rank of RAID devices striped over numerous HDs and cached in a disk
controller
> from where it is actually being read thereby permitting multiple IOs to
the
> same device number..
>
> The problem is that the IO Supervisor checks the IOB Busy Bit before
issuing a
> SIO and, if it is on, unnecessarilly suspends the SIO until the device
is idle.

> Instead of changing the IO Supervisor, IBM has opted to fake it out by
defining
> alias devices for the same device number in PAV.
>
> Since most workloads these days are still IO bound, why would you still
want to
> unnecessarilly "single thread" IO, why would you NOT want PAV on CMS
mds, SFS,
> or whatever?

Not sure what you're talking about, George.  The I/O subsystem is
architected to permit exactly ONE active I/O per subchannel.  The I/O
supervisors MUST obey.  So, PAV does not fake out the I/O supervisor.  It
obviates the need to do some Unnatural Acts with IOCP to get a single
subchannel with more than one associated IODEVICE so that you can do more
than one SSCH (not SIO any more!) to the same device on different
subchannels.

To get advantage for CMS apps, including DB2 and SFS, you must have more
than one minidisk on the physical volume and I/O must be directed to more
than one minidisk at the same time.

If you don't have enough parallelism in the system, the I/Os will complete
fast enough such that all I/Os go to the base anyway.  So unless your
performance reports are showing device queueing inside CP, PAVs will not
help.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training