Tom wrote:

<Per the IBM documentation, the z/196 requires z/VSE 4.1 or above, z/VM
5.4 or> <above and Suse 10 or above.>

<Of course, as those products are the only supported products available.>

What about Red Hat?

Is that also supported for z/196, or is it  only Suse?

Tom Duerbusch <duerbus...@stlouiscity.com>
12/29/2010 11:12 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
z/196 and older Operating Systems

Per the IBM documentation, the z/196 requires z/VSE 4.1 or above, z/VM 5.4
or above and Suse 10 or above.

Of course, as those products are the only supported products available.

So, did the z/196 break older operating systems?  I don't care that the
older ones can't use newer facilities.  (The z boxes came with dual
channel sets which "broke" unsupported OS versions until "migration" PTFs
became available.

For example, at one site, I have z/VSE 3.1.0 running.  We were planning on
upgrading from a MP/3000 to a new box.  My conversion process was to run
z/VSE 3.1.0 on the new box in a LPAR, and bring up z/VSE 4.3 on another
LPAR for conversion.  The Business Partner is suggesting a z/10, but that
was 4 months ago.  I don't know if the z/196 was available at that time or
not.

I believe that the z/10 isn't in new production, so a z/10 would be used.
Hence we pay for shipping, installation, site prep, no warranty, etc.
which isn't in the proposal from the Business Partner.  I don't think we
get a migration discount either, but would enjoy the pricing point for
z/VSE 4.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(trying to keep from making a "crap" proposal <G>)