On Thursday, 01/06/2011 at 09:46 EST, "Hughes, Jim"
<jim.hug...@doit.nh.gov> wrote:
> Would we be able to put 2 IODEVICE statements following one controller
and use
> different channel addresses on them?
>
> Would be valid to define address E000-E00F on one IODEVICE statement and

> addresses C010-C01F on the other and point them at the same Controlunit?
If so,
> could either channel address be used along with the Pnn to select the
desired
> osa port?

Yes, to both questions.

But let's look at a more complicated example, where you need to worry
about the last two digits of the device address and its relationship to
the unit address.

Here you see that the two address ranges (E000-E00F and C000-C00F) have
the same last two digits.  If not specified, UNITADD will default to the
last two digits of the ADDRESS.  Left to its own, you would end up with
overlapping UNITADDs, a no-no.  So you have either specify a different set
of UAs (example 1) or you have to define a 2nd control unit (example 2).

Example 1
      CHPID PATH=(CSS(0),F8),PCHID=370,       *
            PART=((PROD1,PROD2,TEST1,TEST2),  *
            (PROD3,PROD4,PROD5)),TYPE=OSD,SHARED
      CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=F800,PATH=(CSS(0),F8), *
            UNIT=OSA
      IODEVICE CUNUMBER=F800,ADDRESS=(E000,16), *
            UNIT=OSA,UNITADD=00
      IODEVICE CUNUMBER=F800,ADDRESS=(C000,16), *
            UNIT=OSA,UNITADD=10

Example 2
      CHPID PATH=(CSS(0),F8),PCHID=370,       *
            PART=((PROD1,PROD2,TEST1,TEST2),  *
            (PROD3,PROD4,PROD5)),TYPE=OSD,SHARED
      CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=F800,PATH=(CSS(0),F8), *
            UNIT=OSA
      IODEVICE CUNUMBER=F800,ADDRESS=(E000,16), *
            UNIT=OSA,UNITADD=00
      IODEVICE CUNUMBER=F801,ADDRESS=(C000,16), *
            UNIT=OSA,UNITADD=00

Paul Feller's post implies that you need/should create separate CUs for
each port.  That isn't necessary.

BTW, if using OSA/SF, then you must code CUNUMBR=0 in order to use the
OSAD (0xFE) device.

> Sorry asking questions I should know the answer to. We don't do much
IOCP work.
> Once we get the new hardware installed and running, we normally never
touch the
> IOCP.

This kind of thing is rather esoteric, even for those who do IOCP all the
time.  Of course, one wonders WHY you're using different ranges!

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices