My recent experience also shows that you need to obey the design:
- there is a private network between the HMC and both SEs
- it must not be part of your own LAN to get remote access to the HMC.
I had a case that was not set up well: there was only one LAN.  After
applying some maintenance to the HMC and/or SEs, many things stopped
working.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support