Alan Altmark wrote:
<"everything an SE can do" is possible>
<only via Single Object Operations.>

So if an SE's IP address can be pinged from the corporate intranet, does
not that mean anyone from the intranet could do a POR or would the Single
Object Operations portal stop them?

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
03/28/2011 02:20 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Support Element (SE) vs HMC and IP Addresses

On Saturday, 03/26/2011 at 05:06 EDT, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> Also, would someone kindly explain the functional differences between
the
> Support Element (SE) and the Hardware Management Console (HMC) other
than the
> HMC can:
>
> do everything an SE can do
> do it for more than one CEC
> do it as a portal for the intra/internet

You've pretty much got it, though "everything an SE can do" is possible
only via Single Object Operations.  I would also say that the SE's primary

job is the run the CPC (CEC).  The HMC's primary job is to talk to you.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices