I don't run z/OS under z/VM so I don't know what the display might look like.
From a pure z/OS display output from the "D M=CPU" command you should see
something like the following two lines.

CPC ND = 002097.E12.IBM.02.00000005F415
CPC SI = 2097.504.IBM.02.000000000005F415

The number in the CPC SI line is what I call the "software" model.  It is the
number that most software vendors want to see.  So in my case the hardware
model is a 2097-E12 but the software model is a 2097-504.

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Martha McConaghy
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 12:46 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: z10 capacity number?

We just moved our remaining LPAR over to a new z10.  Now, some of our z/OS
people are updating their licenses on their products to reflect the new
serial number, etc.  However, they are being asked for the new mainframe's
"capacity number".  I've never heard of that before.  They are being told
to run:

d m=cpu

from z/OS to get the number.  However, since all of our z/OS systems are
guests, I have no idea if the info being returned is accurate.  Is there an
equivelent in z/VM?  I found the "query capability" command but am not sure
if it is the same thing.

Martha