Back in my IBM days, I used to close all the console spool files every hour. They went to another DVM on the same system which tracked their timely arrival and then transferred them to my local DVM, which also tracked them and dealt them out to Keeper DVM'S. I, or my backup (or OPS), got MSG alerts if any of them were late. With up to about 7 remote systems (depending on how much testing was going on) and 3 to 8 DVM's per system, it was the only way we could keep our minds around what was going on, especially across the RSCS network. Back in those days, it was all home grown using VMSERVE. I suppose it was fairly primitive compared to what's available today, but it worked for us and we could peruse a conspool for the time slot of a problem very quickly!

Les

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
I use:

cp spool console to maint eof

Which closes the console after every 50,000 records.

If you need it done at midnight or some other time, you could use VMUTIL, or
some other home grown exec to issue a close on behalf of a disconnected machine.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@aonhewitt.com> 2/11/2011 1:45 PM >>>
Almost every z/VM customer is forced to devise a method to close service virtual machine consoles at midnight, or at some time of day. z/VM old-timers have done this for ages, but new z/VM customers don't often have the skills necessary to implement automated closures - or even recognize the advantages of doing so.

Before submitting this to IBM as an enhancement request (probably through the auspices of SHARE), it seemed prudent to run it past others for wider consideration.

I see three possibilities:
1) Enhance the directory entry statement "SPOOL" to add "EOF AT hh:mm:ss", or "CLOSE AT hh:mm:ss" 2) Enhance the CP command "SPOOL" to enhance "EOF" adding "AT hh:mm:ss", or enhance "CLOSE" adding "AT hh:mm:ss"
3) For the sake of consistency, both enhancements 1 and 2.

If only #2 were implemented, the new SPOOL command could be entered in the directory entry of such servers via the 'COMMAND' statement, providing the same facility with lower CP coding and documentation requirements. New products could be distributed with sample directory entries containing the "AT hh:mm:ss" included, perhaps as a comment.

Thoughts?

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by e-mail.