Tom Huegel wrote:

>This technique requires you to know some things about the D/R system like
the CPUID etc

Why CPUID?

We are upgrading from z9 to z196 soon.

Is there a CPUID carried in SYSTEM CONFIG which I must change?

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
02/18/2011 11:15 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

Here is what I do.

In SYSTEM CONFIG file I have these statements.
 System_Identifier 2094 09A123 ZVMHOME
 System_Identifier 2817 09B123 ZVMDR

/**********************************************************************/
/*                     IMBED -SYSTEM- SYSTEM                         */
     IMBED -SYSTEM- SYSTEM
/**********************************************************************/

Then I have two files on CF1
ZVMHOME SYSTEM       <==== All of the system config statements for my home
system
ZVMDR      SYSTEM       <==== All of the system config statements for my
D/R system

This technique requires you to know some things about the D/R system like
the CPUID etc. you can use the different names throught the system to
decide if you are at home or at a D/R sught.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:01 AM, George Henke/NYLIC <
george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
>The truly paranoid keep a .iso copy of the DVD in each location (or burn
>extra physical copies and keep it with your emergency ops manual).

Just because we're paranoid, does not necessarily mean everyone is not out
to get us.

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
02/17/2011 09:23 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

On Thursday, 02/17/2011 at 05:48 EST, Mike Walter
<mike.wal...@aonhewitt.com> wrote:

> If you're reading this and are new to z/VM, take one thing away... build

> stable (tested and rarely changed) 1-pack z/VM recovery system.  It
could save
> your job one day (or dark night).

The truly paranoid keep a .iso copy of the DVD in each location (or burn
extra physical copies and keep it with your emergency ops manual).  The
ramdisk-based installation system can be used to repair other systems.  It

will run even if nothing else will.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training