Anne,

You'll need a FICON port attached to your SAN first of all.  If one doesn't
exist already, you'll need to get whomever is in charge of the hardware to
do that.  (Its all me here, so I get my hands into every level of it.)  If you
want to do multipathing, which is pretty common for SAN devices, then you'll
need 2 FICON ports, possibly attached to different parts of the SAN topology.
(You would need to consult your SAN folks on that.)

Once you have one or more FICON ports connected to the SAN, you need to use
HCD to define them to the Linux LPAR, including a set of real addresses.
How many you have depends on whether your site is using NPIV for SAN
addressing or not.  (Hopefully, you have SAN people who can handle the fabric,
zoning the WWPNs, etc.)

Once you have the addresses available on your Linux LPAR, you'll need to
define the paths and WWPNs in Linux.  I'm not the expert on that, but I'm
sure one of the others can help you with it.

This was just an overview of the process.  I hope it helps.

Martha