I just want to close out this thread by thanking, once again, everyone
from the bottom of my heart.

We just cutover last Sunday, Feb 27, 2011, to a z196, 2817, from a z9,
2094.

z/VM 5.4 RSU 1002, with the compatibility PTFs as specified in this
thread, came up just fine.

This was the "acid test" of the maintenance and it passed with "flying
colors"  thanks to all of you here in this thread who made it possible.

My gratitude is too deep for words; there are none adequate enough.

The list is sooooo long, you all know who you are.

I could not mention one without all.

You have all been sooooooooo important and indispensable to this effort.

It is all for one and one for all.

But a special thanks is due our fearless leader, Alan, around whom we all
rally.

George Henke/NYLIC
11/02/2010 03:53 PM

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

I  want to thank everyone for their support on this "thread" without which
none of the following would have been possible.

Creating a Level 2 environment cloning Level 1 to Level 2
Applying 2 years of maintenance to Level 2; from 5402RSU (0802) to 5407RSU
(1002) /PSP/COR and z196 compatibility
Reapplying the same maintenance to Level 1
IPLing Level 1 without any issues, last weekend

We are now current on maintenance and ready for z196.

BTW: the 5407RSU contained only 1 (VM64798) of the 3 APARs necessary for
z196 compatibility. The other 2 (VM64879 VM64881) had to be ordered and
applied as corrective (COR) maintenance.

Once again, thank you all, the list is toooooooo long, for all your help.

George Henke/NYLIC
09/23/2010 10:30 AM

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
cc

Subject
Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

Would you recommend putting this 5.4 zEnterprise compatibility maintenance
on at Level 1 or Level 2.

We currently have both environments for 5.4.

I suppose the quickest and easiest (maybe dirtiest too?) way is just to
put it on at Level 1 and fall back to CPOLD if there is a problem.

"Best practice" may call for putting it on at Level 2 first, but the
nature of the change may not warrant that level of effort.

There are, however, 45 or more prereq fixes also going on with these 2
APARs,  VM64879 VM64881.

Just interested in what everyone thinks.

Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com>
09/22/2010 11:01 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: What is the z/VM 5.4 Compatibility PTF for z196?

Also you want to check PSP on IBMLink and look for 2817DEVICE and see what
recent stuff is needed for that system type (or whatever one you are
installing).