When my zLinux Admin issued this command in the zLinux guest machine, he got
the "write-protected" message indicating to him that the OS disk is read-only...

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
mount: block device /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 is write-protected, mounting
read-only

He said it wasn't like that yesterday.  The likelihood of a finger check is
very minimal since the way we have these guest machines start up, which is
directly IPL it's OS disk (addr 200).  My zLinux Admin tells me that it was
fine Monday before the D/R test started this morning.  He himself I guess could
have finger checked, but he knows very little about how VM works let alone
issue the command to link the OS disk device R/O.

Thank you for the suggestion on IPLing the guest into CMS first.  I will look
into it again at some point when more time allows.  But in the meantime, this
bizarre occurrence has puzzled us.  I have since set the console to start at
IPL/startup of the guest machine to get some console activity log to see what
he's doing at startup.

Thanks for you assistance.

Kind Regards,
Steve.