Wow... haven't had a hung user report in a while.  Try pasting the
following file (between the "--<snip>--"s) into a file called "HUNGUSER
HELPME"
onto a CMS disk of your choice, then enter: HELP ME HUNGUSER

It won't actually unhang your userid, but it does outline historically
helpful steps to gather documentation for IBM, clear up most such
problems, and provides a handy reference the next time it happens.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

---<snip>---
When a userid becomes hung in a LOGOFF/FORCE PENDING state, the following

alternatives may be tried -- some require more than class "G" privs:

- If you have the time, simply waiting 15 minutes for CP to perform
  housecleaning chores might free the userid, completing the LOGOFF
  or FORCE.

- Use the public domain utility "TRACK" to determine if the userid is
  awaiting completion of an I/O to a particular unresponsive device.

  Use the commands:
        TRACK hungid DEV CLASS * IO PENDing
        TRACK hungid DEV CLASS * IO ACTIVE

  Nota bene: As of 23 Feb 2006 TRACK can be obtained from:
             http://vm.marist.edu/track/code.html

- Before attempting anything that actually changes the hung userid,
  if you can (consider communication time-outs which may occur that
  could affect other users) before muddying the waters, get a current
  system dump for IBM to diagnose later.  From a privclass "A' user:

        CP QUERY DUMP  (then ensure that it is going to disk)
  Then: CP WNG ALL This system may be non-responsive for a few minutes
                   while diagnostic information is obtained.
  Then: CP SNAPDUMP

- Sometimes a simple message frees up the "hungid" without further ado.
  From a privclass A, B, or C userid, issue:
        CP WNG hungid Hello

- If the ID was awaiting I/O to a terminal, simply connecting from a
  working terminal may free the ID.  From a free terminal, issue:
        CP LOGON hungid HERE

- For users logged on via TELNET terminals, issue:
        NETSTAT TELNET
  Find the matching tn3270 connection, and issue:
        NETSTAT DROP conn_num

- "CPHX" is reported to cancel pending CP commands: ATTACH, LOCATE,
  LOCATEVM, and VARY ONLINE|OFFLINE (see HELP for more detail).
  From a privclass "A" userid, issue:
        CP CPHX hungid

- If TRACK (above) showed an active I/O which cannot be remedied
  (e.g. by making a tape drive "Ready"), the I/O may be able to be
  cancelled.  From a privclass "A" userid, issue:
        CP HALT rdev
  Due to queued I/Os or recalcitrant devices, HALT may need to be issued

  repeatedly until the following message is received:
     Halt was not initiated to tape nnnn because the device as not active

- If nothing freed the hung user, open a Problem Management Report (PMR)

  with IBM, and provide the SNAPDUMP for analysis.

.cm Last updated 2007/01/04 mrw
---<snip>---

"Frank M. Ramaekers" <framaek...@ailife.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/02/2011 02:41 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
HCPCQU361E LOGOFF/FORCE pending for user xxxxxxxx

We are having this problem on a z/VSE that had a low-core storage overlay.
 We can?t seem to find a way out of it.

force ua
HCPUSO361E LOGOFF/FORCE pending for user UA
Ready(00361); T=0.01/0.01 14:36:34
ind i/o
GLOBE    ---- TMKA     018C UA       1B0D AILPROD  ----
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:36:37
detach 1b0d ua
HCPDTC361E LOGOFF/FORCE pending for user UA
Ready(00361); T=0.01/0.01 14:36:44
force ua logoff immed
HCPUSO361E LOGOFF/FORCE pending for user UA
Ready(00361); T=0.01/0.01 14:36:54

1B0D is a real device (well a BARR device).

q 1b0d
PRT 1B0D ATTACHED TO UA       0B0D
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:39:00

Can?t logon to the VM either?..don?t want to IPL VM?..we are trying to
?reboot? the BARR device?.see if that will clear the I/O up.

 Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Systems Programmer
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE

American Income Life Insurance Co.
Phone: (254)761-6649

1200 Wooded Acres Dr.
Fax: (254)741-5777

Waco, Texas  76701

_____________________________________________________ This message
contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely
for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.