On Tuesday, 03/08/2011 at 11:50 EST, Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I see this descrepency between TPF native and TPF as a z/VM guest.
> Has anyone else seen this behavior?
> Is there any explaination? I have searched high and low, but can't find
an
> answer.
>
> TPF as z/VM guest:
> 3990E933 900CDA00 FEF62032 16A8000F

> TPF Native LPAR:
> 3990EC33 900CD800 F0F62032 16A8000F

What you are seeing is z/VM's simulation of a 3990 control unit mode when
(1) A 2105 or 2107 storage controller is being used, and
(2) The guest OS has not indicated that it understands 2105 or 2107 CU
mode.

Under those conditions, CP will simulate a 3990 in enhanced operation
mode.  It's the same thing the 2105/2107 does.  I think the only
difference is the length of path status on a PERFORM SUBSYSTEM FUNCTION:
READ SUBSYSTEM DATA operation, the output of which is irrelevant to
2105/2107s anyway.

Is this an academic question as a result of late-night studying of

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323