On Thursday, 03/10/2011 at 12:36 EST, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> It?s something that more and more servers are starting to do (thanks to
the
> spam). The quickest solution to this problem is to set up a Linux guest
on your
> VM system and use that as a proxy. All of the Linux MTAs can do
> server-to-server authentication.  You then set your VM SMTP to point to
that
> guest, and the Linux guest deals with the outside world for you.
>
> I?ve got a prebuilt appliance for this if you want a copy.

I was going to mention that as a solution, but I would suggest that Shimon
first take the issue to his network people and let them decide what they
want to do.  If their answer is to use a relay and they want it on zLinux,
then ok.  Maybe they installed a new Exchange server and forgot to turn on
anonymous access.  Only they know....

Don't silently take the problem away from them and solve it on your own.
(1) You're peeing in their pool
(2) They don't learn anything
(3) You'll get bit by something else they do down the road

And, of course, make sure you have submitted a requirement against VM
SMTP.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training