On Friday, 03/11/2011 at 05:38 EST, Shimon Lebowitz <shim...@iname.com>
wrote:
> As I see it, there are now 3 possibilities:
> a) they reallow anonymous SMTP access globally
> b) they allow SMTP access to z/VM's server
> c) they prefer authentication, give me a valid set of credentials,
>     and I use them from David's appliance. (It also seems obvious
>     that the appliance would not work without login information,
>     so I would not be able to do this without their supplying such)

Add:
d) they prefer authentication and THEY create the open mail relay for you
to use.  It has the advantage that THEY manage it and THEY worry about the
userid/password.

I like (d) as the starting point because it makes it clear to Management
that e-mail delivery infrastructure is their responsibility.  (c) is the
derivative case where they delegate implementation to you, with management
knowledge and approval, but it is still within their sphere of
responsibility.

IMO, zPeople(tm) shouldn't be quite so willing to take on all burdens.  No
need to pin a "Kick Me" sign on your back or lead with your chin.  But be
prepared to play the role of zHero(tm), rapidly "cross-circuiting to B" at
minimal expense, and showing how we do things in zWorld(tm).  :-)

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices