On Tuesday, 03/22/2011 at 12:18 EDT, Les Koehler <vmr...@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:
> So with FILE CONTROL you can't replace co-dependent files in one atomic
> operation, as one would do with the 'copyfile two-step' (love that
phrase!)?

Yes, you can (and in DIRECTORY CONTROL directories, too), but you need to
become familiar with workunits, DMSGETWU, DMSPUSWU and DMSPOPWU.  See the
discussion of workunits in Chapter 12 of the CMS Application Dev. Guide.

If memory serves, you get a new workunit, push it on the stack, do all
your file updates, then pop the workunit.  But it's been a long time. Just
don't expect RENAME and ERASE to obey the rules.  I think they are atomic
operations.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training