I think they's still need a valid user id and password.   (and I believe
that these are NOT sent in the clear.  i.e. HTTPS)

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of George Henke/NYLIC
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:34 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Support Element (SE) vs HMC and IP Addresses

Alan Altmark wrote:
<"everything an SE can do" is possible>
<only via Single Object Operations.>

So if an SE's IP address can be pinged from the corporate intranet, does
not that mean anyone from the intranet could do a POR or would the
Single Object Operations portal stop them?

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>

03/28/2011 02:20 AM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

cc

Subject

Re: Support Element (SE) vs HMC and IP Addresses

On Saturday, 03/26/2011 at 05:06 EDT, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> Also, would someone kindly explain the functional differences between
the
> Support Element (SE) and the Hardware Management Console (HMC) other
than the
> HMC can:
>
> do everything an SE can do
> do it for more than one CEC
> do it as a portal for the intra/internet

You've pretty much got it, though "everything an SE can do" is possible
only via Single Object Operations.  I would also say that the SE's
primary
job is the run the CPC (CEC).  The HMC's primary job is to talk to you.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is
solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.