From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Eric R Farman
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:01 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Encryption Rekey on TS1120 (3592-E05)

Steve,

There is a difference between a key LABEL and a key ALIAS.  Your console
suggests that the latter is not defined to VM:

> set tape 704 rekey EKMCERT030911A
> HCPSTA9968E Key alias not found: EKMCERT030911A

The LABEL is what is defined to the key store, and is what shows up in the
output for Q TAPE DETAILS (and its cousins).  An ALIAS is a z/VM construct that
combines a label and and encoding mechanism to be used on the label, into a
single operand that can be used by the different command parsers.  If you were
to issue a command SET KEYALIAS TEST01 KEYLABEL EKMCERT030911A, and then SET
TAPE 704 REKEY TEST01, you'd probably be just fine.  (That is, the use of
...0911B as an encryption key for that volume would be removed.)

The encoding mechanism is just a "hint" to determine how to decrypt the tape,
it doesn't provide any mechanism to actually decrypt the actual data.  A
"label" encoding mechanism means the key labels need to be identical between
the writer and reader, while a "hash" uses the common public key and thus
provides some flexibility between sites.  (That is, one site labeling their key
"MyKey" and another calling it "EricsPublicKey" in their respective key stores.)

Regards,
           Eric

Eric Farman
z/VM I/O Development
IBM Endicott, NY

Steve Mondy <steve.mo...@opensolutions.com>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

04/05/2011 11:26 AM

Re: Encryption Rekey on TS1120 (3592-E05)

Sent by:

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Alan,
Try again. Did not work, same results.