z/VM, yes...with the normal additional PTFs (ICKDSF, EREP and IOCP).
VSE/ESA 2.2....it depends.

If you already have the "migration apar" that is unsupported, then it should
work on a z/10.  VSE/ESA 2.2 will not IPL on a z/890 or better due to the dual
channel sets introduced in that machine.  The APAR doesn't cause 2.2 to support
it, it just causes it to ignore it <G>.  VM doesn't help in this case (allowing
VSE/ESA 2.2 to run on a dual channel set machine).

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Graeme Moss <ib...@mossaustralia.com> 4/6/2011 4:35 PM >>>
Hello Fellow Listers,

I have the opportunity to work on upgrading a VM/ESA 2.2 system to z/VM 5.4
on a new z10. I am wondering if I can run a copy of the 2.2 system under 5.4
on a z10 during the build phase ?

Cheers
Graeme