Hello Tom,

I believe that I am correct in stating the following:

The configuration statements in the SYSTEM CONFIG file are used basically
during z/VM IPL to create your system's configuration. A subsequent activation
of a new IODF/IOCDS is not really associated to the SYSTEM CONFIG statements.
Since you defined the real device numbers of 4xxx to only be offline at IPL
(and IPL is the operative word here), upon activation of a new IOCDS/IODF,
these devices are available to the system during device discovery and as a
result become online. The best way to avoid this is to define the 4xxx devices
as 'Not Accepted' causing z/VM not to pay any attention to these devices during
IPL and activation processing.

The SYSTEM CONFIG statements are used to create your working configuration for
the current IPL of z/VM. Subsequent dynamic activations of new configurations
do not necessarily adhere to the SYSTEM CONFIG statements with the 'Not
Accepted' category being the exception.

Hope this helps.

Raymond E. Noal

           EMC²