Actually, the 1800 factor gives a slightly conservative number, so 14 on a box that is supposed to be capped at 18 MIPS is probably about right. If you have the box I think you do, I would have said it is probably 16 MIPS, so the 14 is "reasonably" close. When I developed the 1800 number we had some good reasons to keep the MIPS estimates on the low side. I've been running rexxcps on small systems from the early P/390s on and have a fairly decent record of various emulated and non-emulated systems. Using rexxcps only measures the cpu speed of a single processor, but for typical workloads it does give a pretty good indication of the relative processor speeds. If anyone is interested, the current IBM zPDT based systems provide between 150 and 200 rexxcps based MIPS per enabled processor on current IBM System X servers, depending on the processor speed. As usual, MIPS is as meaningful or meaningless as you want it to be.

Mike Hammock
From: "Fran Hensler" <f...@zvm.sru.edu>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:45 AM
To: <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
Subject: Re: REXXCPS EXEC

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:25:05 -0400 Mike Hammock said:
I have found in the past that dividing the REXX CPS number by 1800 gives an
approximation(!) of the general MIPS rating.

Mike -

I'm running a FLEX-ES box that is knee capped at 18 MIPS.  I added
your formula to the end of REXXCPS.  Here are the results on a
completely idle system:

----- REXXCPS 2.2 -- Measuring REXX clauses/second -----
REXX version is: REXX370 4.02 01 Dec 1998
      System is: CMS
      Averaging: 10 measures of 30 iterations
      CP IND = AVGPROC-011% 01
    Performance: 24794 REXX clauses per second
   24794/1800= 14 MIPS
Ready; T=11.08/11.22 06:39:22

rexxcps 1000
----- REXXCPS 2.2 -- Measuring REXX clauses/second -----
REXX version is: REXX370 4.02 01 Dec 1998
      System is: CMS
      Averaging: 1000 measures of 30 iterations
      CP IND = AVGPROC-100% 01
    Performance: 23699 REXX clauses per second
   23699/1800= 13 MIPS
Ready; T=1133.43/1143.71 07:38:38

I ran REXXCPS at 30 and 1000 three times and each time the 30
measures indicated 14 MIPS while 1000 indicated 13 MIPS.

At the end of August we will downgrade to an 8 MIP box.  It will
be interesting to see what REXXCPS reports then.

/Fran Hensler at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA for 48 years
   mailto:f...@zvm.sru.edu  http://zvm.sru.edu/~fjh  +1.724.794.6172
             "Yes, Virginia, there is a Slippery Rock"