Sadly, it's become common practice to trash competitors in reviews on most online sites. So much so that there are companies that will (for a fee) look for them and delete them for you. (For all I know, the trashing is being done for a fee as well.) Quite the opportunistic little eco-system.

I travel a lot and stay at a variety of low- to mid-tier properties, albeit usually ones affiliated with national brands. I have never seen a bedbug, much less been bitten by one. And yes, I've stayed at hostel-grade properties in NYC, Chicago, and LA. You stay where your budget will allow.

I think the whole "hotel bedbug infestation" publicity is blown out of proportion, but I could be wrong.

-Chip-