We run it on all of our platforms and do manual scans everywhere since it provides more control than the scan groups. As far as z goes, we use Operations Manager to kick off a few scans at a time so as not to bog down the LPARs and we only do it monthly.

The scripts also knows about which filesystems to scan and which ones to bypass and adjusts tlmagent.ini before the scan. I know this can be done in the server itself, but it's just easier to let each platforms script manage it since the respective groups know what's happening on their servers the best.

Another thing we do is drop the cache on each server after the scan completes. The first time we let the ILMT server do the scan automatically, the person that set it up put all of the zLinux servers in one scan group and they all kicked off at once. z/VM paging went totally bonkers due to memory overcommit (3 to 1 if I remember correctly). I maintain the ILMT server now. :-)

Also, in case you want to manage it via scan groups, check into the lmtcli.sh command as it will allow you to automatically assign servers to different scan groups (and a lot more). I have a script that runs daily and checks for anything in the DEFAULT group (we assign all new servers to DEFAULT) and reassigns them to the correct groups using the command.

Since we do manual scans, the scan groups don't do much for us except for reporting and I have a script that runs monthly to check for invalid/missing scans and emails a report to the correct group. The notifications built in to the ILMT server don't really provide a way to do that (not that I could find anyway).

Anyway...just some tidbits on how we roll.  :-)

Leland

And no, I never did figure out exactly how to configure the capacity values so if you do I'd be might grateful if you'd pass on the info.