On 22/02/07, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's great!  That Cara is a big old girl, isn't she?!!  She makes Dagur
> look like a draft horse.
>
> Karen Thomas, NC

Yes, he's turning into a very well built guy.

Interesting observation Cara had last night.  Probably because she's a
little nervous being on a very green horse...she's been hanging onto
the reins.  She knows she has to give Dagur his head, so she's been
lenient...but probably still tighter than she normally holds the
reins.  However, last night she relaxed and gave Dagur even more rein
and he immediately dropped his head.

The other day when we were training (and where he was doing all the
gaiting)...when we stopped once he stretched his head down low and
tipped his nose like he does when we're playing the 'down' game.  I
didn't realize it at the time, but he was trying to tell us that he
needed more head room and took his opportunity to stretch.  No bit
involved in this at all just a halter and rope, and then last night
finally a side pull.

A person really has to be careful what frame you put these eager
babies into don't you?.

Last night the whole training session was done at a nice relaxed
walk..  So now we walk and walk and walk....and in about a year we
progress.

Finding Dagur has a lovely smooth gait, was just icing on the cake but
we won't be asking for it unless he offers it, and then it will be
used sparingly.

Wanda