On 2/22/07, Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Having a bit allows riders to "control" their horse through metal and pain,
> rather than learning to "talk" with the horse through body communication
> (aids and cues).

During my lessons my coach is always saying how riders should rely
less on reins and more on legs and seat, that the reins are for
refinement....after hearing this told to me a few times through the
lesson,  I brought up the subject of a sidepull and said since my
hands aren't that great and I should be focusing more on my legs/seat,
etc etc--then the coach went back to 'needing to learn to communicate'
with my hands and a bit.

I guess I'll just keep doing the best I can, even if I'm confused by his logic.