baby! That's great that she is a brave girl and trusts her human mom!
Cherie

I was shaking like a leaf when I saw it - I'm still surprised it turned out
to be so minor.

Cary walked the pasture to see what had caused it.   He found it.  We have a
few trees in that pasture, and trees will drop dead limbs all along.  He
found a stick near a tree with a bloody tip and blood beside it, and a blood
trail leading from it.  We suppose that she stepped on the end of the stick,
and the other end popped up and gouged her leg - it's the right length for
that.  The second, lower puncture is probably where it "bounced", since it's
not as deep.

We try our best to have the safest fence we can.  We don't leave halters on
the horses when they are unattended.  We think about what obstacles we leave
in the pasture - we never park the trailer in the pasture, and we'd never
think of leaving any farm equipment in there.  I'm ready to cut the little
trees down, but Cary says he can be more careful, and prune them more often,
and we'll both watch for long sticks.  I like for the horses to be exposed
to "natural" stuff, but I once heard of a similar incident with a
stick...only the horse was gouged in the belly, damaging internal organs and
he died.  That was a local horse, so I know the story is true.  Kola was
LUCKY.  To be so big and strong, horses are also extremely fragile in many
ways.