>>> What was evident in her post was the suffering of the horse.  If we
haven't experienced summer eczema and how dreadful it can be for the horse,
we have no idea and it's easy to be superficial about it.

That's a good point.  Even though I've never had a confirmed case of SE here
(and I'm crossing my fingers it stays that way) I've seen a few.  Heck, I've
had a couple of h non-Icelandic horses who got hives and they were
miserable.  We were lucky each time though - we were able to find a simple
cause and eliminate it - quickly and inexpensively.  Thunder's case was an
allergy to deer ticks - they are small and black and we weren't seeing them
in his black mane.  All we had to do was switch to a brand of fly spray that
was effective against ticks, and many of the $5 per quart brands are.  To
eliminate the ticks, I only need to spray him a couple times a week.  It
would be lovely if there was such an inexpensive, quick way to deal with
SE - but it certainly hasn't been the case.

>>>No matter what the percent is, 30, 50, or whatever, one horse with that
type of suffering is too much.

Amen.

Karen Thomas, NC



--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.8/716 - Release Date: 3/9/2007
6:53 PM


Reply via email to