>>> The games have been going great--then, the last few times I've played
with Orri he's been acting paranoid about the CS.  He's responding to the
games with my hands but as soon as the CS lifts he starts getting nervous.
I'm not doing anything with it that I would think conveys any reason for him
to be scared....why was he OK before and now he isn't?

I'm sure he has a reason - too bad they can't tell us what.

In a case like this, rather than getting obsessed with the carrot stick, why
not just drop the issue for a while?  Do whatever you can to get his trust
back...and watch for clues for what really might be bothering him.  There
have been times when I couldn't see an issue and couldn't see it - then
boom, one day it would hit me like a ton of brick what the problem was.
Personally, I don't think there's a thing wrong with avoiding a problem -
for the short term.  Sure, you want to work through all the holes in a
horse's training eventually, but you have time - and I know you think that
too.  Thousands and thousands of people find success in following Parelli's
program by the book...but don't forget that many, many horses do well with
other gentle, common sense approaches.   I use parts of the Parelli program,
but in the situation you described, I wouldn't be opposed to hiding the
carrot stick for a while, if that helps.  You can always try it again when
your and his confidence comes back.  If you're doing something wrong, or are
reminding him of a bad past experience, you might be better off just to
avoid the issue for a while.

A couple of clues in making a success with ANY program, Parelli's or others:
don't be a perfectionist.  And don't be afraid to take some time and just
observe and think about all your options.  Those have been two of my
problems over the years.  Sometimes I've been surprised to find that when I
have had the most success working through an issue - well, often the
solution has been doing less but thinking - and feeling - more.

Anyone doing Parelli games notice their Icelandics react differently than
the 'big' horses most Parelli students play with?

I think every horse is different.  You'll find some of all kinds in every
breed.  The good thing about the Parelli program is that it's so organized
that they can make it into a step-by-step program.  The bad thing about the
Parelli is that it's organized into a step-by-step program.  :)  In other
words, it's great for most horses, most of the time...but there's no way
that anyone can make ANY program work equally well for all the horses with
all the possible baggage they may bring to the table.  That takes knowing
each horse and taking your time to think about what may make your horse
different from the average.

If I were you, I'd stick with it - but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a
break now and then.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]