[delete headers to, from, subj, date]

[brackets point >>INTO<<< quoted text]

the water you do not USE REINS! Its hard
work for them and they really have to have unobstructed breathing when
swimming and like humans their heads rise and fall out of the water
and they have to be able to concentrate on breathing rhythmically
while swimming just as we do!! I know two people whose horses almost
drowned because they were not careful about this!<<<<<

Thanks for the heads up! I've read that before but since I no longer swim my
horses, didn't really think about it.

I used to like to swim my horses across rivers, but I sort of floated beside
them and let them pull me through the water by their manes. In 1980 I was
swimming the flooded Animas River in Durango, CO, on my Arabian, but he got
snagged on something underwater and disappeared for a long moment. I was
going to try to dive down and free him (a really BAD idea) but just then he
popped back up. After that, I would only ride them partway into ponds or
wade up flooded creeks.

Rachel from E KY