Was he on the horse?  It's pretty easy to flip a horse, especially a young,
unbalanced horse.  If the horse was trying to go to her friends and the guy
reined her in with a long leverage bit, AND kicked her to go forward, she
had no where to go but up.  I've seen this happen twice at horse expos!
Once she finds that's an escape from pain, she'll be more likely to try it
again in the same circumstances, but rearing is a lot of work, and I bet if
she learned a clear go forward cue during ground work, she's get over it.

If he's tried to move her forward without holding her head, he might have
avoided it.   Of course saddle fit and idiots training her could be
compounding the problem!

Cherie