That sounds like what they used to call a shank snaffle.

If that is what it is, it's only to be used with the lightest of hands because
the combination of those shanks and the jointed snaffle presents the
possibility of a nut cracker action, really pinching the horse's mouth.

It's been a VERY long time since I rode Western, but I had a  couple of friends
who were very successful in the Western show disciplines.  One gal had the
national champion Appaloosa trail horse.  They both used a regular round
snaffle for all training then slipped a curb bit in for shows, returning to the
snaffle for schooling.

This is how we handled my grandson's dressage horse when he wanted to show in
Western pleasure at the county fair.  He won his division, too.  He also did
really well in hunter over fences and on his dressage test, all  on his very
nice QH gelding.

Nancy