What we see most often (totally natural)  are grief, guilt and denial.

Too frequently, parents want so much for the diagnosis to be different that
they don't start therapies early enough.

We have two families among our friends who have not sent their children to
school because they were so unhappy (or misunderstood) there.   Another mom
(final diagnosis Aspberger's Syndrome) just didn't want her son
diagnosed/labeled.  He received none of the available early intervention.

It is true that our Ron would be happier if he could stay home where we
understand him and jump to meet his needs, but we have always felt he will
need to cope with the rest of the world too, not just Mom and Dad who love
him best.

Nancy