I have been following this thread on bits and leverage and benn 
disappointed that no firm recomendations have been made.
I curently use a loose ring french snaffle. But my horse, Gormur, is 
very strong and at the end of a 2 hour ride, my hands are developing 
blisters from trying to hold him back, especially on the way home when 
he just wants to get faster and faster. I also have a problem when going 
out with my group of friends riding. Several of them like to fast 
canter/gallop and a few hang back, doing a slow canter. Gormur and I can 
tolt or canter with the slow group but Gormur wll pass each horse if I 
let him to catch up with the ones in front, pulling almost until I can 
not hold him back. (this is where the blisters come from!)  Many times I 
feel I almost cannot hold him back.

I have been advised by the barn manager to get a stronger bit.  My barn 
is geared to western riding and so they recommended a western bit, a 
Monte Foreman bit  which I have been using. It does seem to give me 
extra control but last time I rode, he decided he wanted to run up to 
another horse that was a ways away and when I reined him in he started 
bucking and crow hopping and spinning, something he has never done 
before in the three years I have owned him.(although he has bolted on me 
once a long time ago)   It scared me and I dismounted and walked him 
back to the farm.

Is it possibly the bit is too strong for him and hurt him. Is there 
another bit I could purchase that would be a step up from the old one I 
used (loose ring french link snaffle) and not a severe as the Monte 
Forman bit.

Any advise would be helpful.

Gale in NJ

Reply via email to