--- Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's my take - if I can't tell if it's a slightly lateral running
> walk or
> a saddle rack...then I probably don't CARE!  Both are good.  Maybe
> someday I
> will be able to tell ALL gaits that precisely, but just knowing the
> major
> differences is a plenty challenging at first.
>
> If I can't tell if it's a slightly diagonal running walk or a
> foxtrot, then
> I probably don't CARE!  Not now...maybe as I get better.  But, one
> step at a
> time please...
>
> But if I can't tell a step-pace from a foxtrot, then I have
> homework to
> do...
>
> Karen Thomas, NC

Wow!  Well said.  I was surprised to read this post, yet delighted.
This is more the way I look at it.  If I get too bogged down with
being EXACT, then I get bogged down, but I know for some people they
really like to be that precise all the time.  Like its a game.  A fun
one.

We did not buy a mare here who is wonderful...but she is on the pacy
side...and her back is a little long, and her bones a tad more thin.

You put it all together and our other mares were the better choice.
Of course she is so well trained and really fun to ride despite all
those things.  But you could tell if she was getting pacy....sure
does not feel like a rack!  Anyway she was good for me to ride
because I could feel things really well with her.....

We have her at our farm again....and she was here to breed to Foss,
so since all horse here have to have shoes, yet we do not like mare
to have hinds on while breeding, Sally put on those poly shoes on her
hinds...well she stays perfectly balance in tolt now with those poly
shoes.  Who knew?

We stumbeled upon this.......but if we keep shoeing her like that,
would I be right to assume that, that is shoeing for gait?

She does seem more relaxed and easy to ride now, not as uptight.

Interesting question.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080