On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 06:53:28AM -0400, Karen Thomas wrote:
> If I thought they were simply claims to broaden the pony market, it wouldn't
> automatically bother me so much.  However, I know there are actually
> 300-350-pound (maybe more) riders buying these horses...and while some of
> our ponies may be able to carry that weight, I have to ask how long are
> these riders riding, how fast, how good is their balance, how well do their
> saddles fit, etc...?  Fair or not, it's just a fact that the heavier the
> rider, the more perfect all other factors should be.  After all, horseback
> riding is not a "victimless sport."

absolutely.  and i think that this applies to *all* riders, of any
horse.  when i rode at a barn that did sales, we saw some truly awful
riders (of widely varying sizes) who we would really have preferred to
have come for lessons rather than purchasing.  any rider who is
unbalanced or uses an ill-fitting saddle can hurt a horse, any rider can
overwork a horse for its condition.

good horsemanship and good care for the horse needs to be a priority.

--vicka