--- Kim Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I find that if I politely and
> softly push her head away from me, she stops. I let my horses come
> close to me and there are some rules, no biting, no kicking, even
> at
> other horses when I am around, no pushing. They can be taught to
> follow the rules, I've been around horses as long as I can remember
>
> (almost) and I think some of it comes naturally to me.

I like being

> close with them, they can be very sweet and at the same time they
> follow directions and be safe riding horses. I actually let them
> touch me with their noses, they are taught what is appropriate,

Perfectly stated!

 no
> biting, four out of five of them never try to bite at this point, 2
>
> of them have never even tried it in their lives, each of the other
> 3
> has given me at least one good bite each when I first started
> working with them, this behavior is natural in certain individuals
> and can be extinguished, and I still am able to let them close to
> me, and able to let them touch me with their noses, they are very
> smart, they get it. A couple of them like to put their heads on my
> shoulder and give me a horse hug, I love it.

This is wonderful Kim.  We love being close to our babies and
horses...we let them come to us, and they can touch us, but no
biting, nibbling or kicking, even to other horses around when we are
there....they learn very quickly.

We can be in a Big herd of 20 gaited horses, most of them we have
owned at one point or own now or we bred them ourselves, and we are
very safe just to sit with them out in a huge pasture...no yelling,
no arms waving to send them away, just hanging out with them
relaxed......it is soooo nice and wonderful

> I just wanted to put another perspective out there, it seems like
> some people think that either horses are to be kept at a distance
> from us, in order to keep them from doing anything dangerous, or if
>
> we let them close, they will inevitably be out of control, no
> boundaries, dangerous for sure. We are getting awfully close to
> them
> when we are on their backs, you would think that you would want to
> trust them completely in any direction, before you go and get on
> their backs, if you think about it, being on their backs is a
> pretty
> precarious position.

I don't really think horses are that
> dangerous,
> if you understand them, make friends with them, and set up a few
> rules, they are actually pretty easy to get along with, Icelandics
> even more so.
>
> Kim

Wonderfully stated......my mare is one of my best friends who always
comes up to me, just because, treats or no treats, she just enjoys
being around me....we clicked when we first met.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080