On 9/1/07, Robyn Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Janice,
> horse that has gaps in ground training and some necessary handling was
> skipped..
>
> If you don't have flies and other biting bugs where you live then there may
> not be a need for a horse to be fly sprayed.  Just different perspective on
> what horses need to know..... : ))

a good point.  but a reminder that I am 57 and Nasi is only 3 and will
maybe outlive me.  Who know what could happen.  I try to think of it
as how can i best outfit all my horses to have good homes someday if
something happens to me.  I have a friend right now, grieving over his
horse that died.  he is horse looking.  People keep calling him to
come over and look at their garbage, their horses so horrible they
should really be put down and for whatever reason the people havent,
one supposedly had a mild hernia and when he got there and looked, a
blop of partially digested hay fell out of the "hernia".  Can you
imagine?  He paid 900 dollars for a totally foundered lame horse.  He
took a free horse that any time when tied would pull back and when the
halter broke would fall over backwards, jump up and bolt down the
road...  doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out where horses
like that are gonna end up...  jmo---  if we love our horses we need
to outfit them to be able to make it whereever they might end up if
something happens to us...

i think for a long time, for whatever reasons and we could talk about
them endlessly, but anyway, icelandics have been a breed where they
were rarely on the market cheap, were NEVER rescued or rehabbed.  Now
it is an everyday ocurrence.  Just like other breeds.  and the bottom
has fallen out of the horse market for all breeds...  gosh I saw a
horse on dreamhorse a couple of months ago that would sit like a dog
while you mounted and dismounted, was dead broke, ridden in parades,
trails , had been shown and won ribbons.  They wanted 1500 or best
offer...  its amazing.  i would not like to be in the business of
selling horses now, or trying to find a good home for one of mine.  I
would lose sleep over it!
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo